UNC Rex Healthcare announced it will postpone the opening of the new Holly Springs hospital until November. Initially scheduled to open in September, the delay allows existing employees and new hires to care for patients at the main Raleigh hospital during the recent surge of COVID cases.
“This was a difficult decision, but we need all hands on deck to respond to the rapid surge of COVID patients,” said Ernie Bovio, president of UNC Rex. “Our staff is tired, both physically and mentally, but they continue to go above and beyond in caring for our patients each and every day. We want to make sure our teammates have the resources and support they need during these challenging times.”
More than 400 employees will work at the Holly Springs hospital. About 40% of those will transfer from UNC Rex’s Raleigh campus, which would create further staffing shortages during the current crisis. The hospital now plans to open on Nov. 1.
“We look forward to serving the Holly Springs and southern Wake community soon, but right now postponing the opening is the responsible option,” said Roy Tempke, chief operating officer of the new Holly Springs hospital. “Holly Springs hospital teammates have been informed of the delay, and they will be essential in helping at UNC Rex to support the increase in patients we expect to see in the coming weeks.”
Read more about the UNC Health Rex Holly Springs hospital in our feature: The Hospital Next Door.
- Big Ideas
- The Hospital Next Door
- Building Community at the Block on Main
- I want it. I got it.
- Diving Deep in Holly Springs
- There & Back: Paddle the Cape Fear River
- Dig In & Drink Up: Macarons from Asali Desserts & Cafe
- Grow & Bloom: Impatient? Plant Autumn Crocus
- Restaurant Spotlight: Little Portugal
- Meet & Greet Standout Students: Alisha Reid
- Meet & Greet Standout Students: Katelyn Sheets
- Meet & Greet Standout Students: Kennedy Mitchell
- Meet & Greet Standout Students: Andreas Jordan
- So You Like to Drink Local…
- Hospital Opening Delayed