It’s hard to believe that Nicole Migneco has only been decorating cookies professionally for eight months. She first attempted custom sugar cookies for her nephew’s birthday, an attempt she claims was “not a success.”
Migneco “grew up crafty,” she says, so she tried again, and again, and eventually launched Sweet Carolina Cookie Shoppe last April.
Migneco has created cookies for baby showers, Eagle Scout celebrations, birthday parties, corporate promotions and more. In August, she began offering decorating workshops at The Sassy Cow in Fuquay-Varina. Her work is artistic and fun, with adorable details and steady precision. With Nicole’s tips, you, too, can expertly decorate your own holiday cookies.
- Roll out dough to an even thickness. Otherwise cookies bake unevenly, or icing pools on one side.
- Add flavorings to your dough to enhance the taste. Migneco often adds snickerdoodle or pumpkin spice flavorings to her custom creations.
- Consistency of icing is key. Migneco uses royal icing that must be “not too thick, not too thin.” Piping her designs provides extra control.
- Sketch a design beforehand … or don’t! Migneco admits sometimes she draws an idea on paper first, but many times she’s spontaneous. “It’s fun to go free range sometimes, with no restraint.” A particularly good tactic if children are participating.
- Work swiftly; royal icing hardens quickly.
- Allow ample drying time at all stages, especially before stacking the cookies to store. Migneco recommends a table top fan or a very low temperature oven for speed drying.
Want extra practice?
Attend one of Sweet Carolina Cookie Shoppe’s decorating workshops at The Sassy Cow. Beginner workshops are offered twice a month and serve as a prerequisite to intermediate and advanced classes.
Sweet Carolina Cookie Shoppe
@Sweet Carolina Cookie Shoppe
Classes offered at The Sassy Cow NC
135 S. Main Street, Fuquay-Varina
- Celebrate Fuquay Festival
- Have a Hometown Holiday
- Reflect on the Season
- Have a Holiday Happy Hour
- Don We Now Our Party-Perfect Style
- Shop for a Cause
- Decorate Cookies like a Pro
- Wrap the Prettiest Packages
- March in a Parade
- Holiday Gift Guide 2019
- In 2020, I want to… Become A Ninja Warrior
- Harvest Moon Bakery-Cafe
- Southern Supreme Fruitcake & More
- Early Spring: Forcing Tazetta Daffodils
- North Carolina Holiday Spirits
- June and Keith Propes & Tim Congleton
- FVM’s New Years Resolutions